Jewellery Maker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cracking Problems

4 posters

Go down

cracking Problems   Empty cracking Problems

Post  Batty Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

[url]cracking Problems   100_1417[/url]

right then,
beads from 7-0-cock to 12-a-cock have no cracks, only 7 o clock has silver leaf inclusion, none of these have any reactive glass.

beads at 6-0-crock, periwinkle base, silver foil, amethyst encased, reichenbach purple rose decoration, cracked top left-hand "ventrical"

beads @ 3 & 1-0-crock, Dark Matter base, amethyst encased, reichenback flower, cracked right down the middle. (really sad about these as the colour is amazing, need to see them in the flesh)

Only one of these "cracked" beads, cracked whilst i was making it, I did try heating it up again, but the decoration was about go awol so i stopped. i placed them in the annealing bubbles, and they came out cracked, (shy-stir, = coy-cook, are you keeping up?)
And 6-0-clock has this rather un-fetching greenish dirty pond look about it, seeping out from behind the silver leaf?

All condiments, welcome. sunny
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

cracking Problems   Empty Re: cracking Problems

Post  Tinker Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Mmmmm! Well first of all, sometimes silver leaf and glass colours react in a different way to what you expected. I've discovered this just this week - look at milady here - she's wrapped in silver leaf and it looks copper on her - plus the true colour of the glass is what you see there at the bottom of her legs and the silver has brought about this dark greeny change in her

cracking Problems   6886712355_bb33823f90_m
Goddess Pele by Kat Newman, on Flickr

In terms of the cracking, I don't know - sometimes different glasses can be incompatible - you have different 'makes' there, don't know enough to know if that's a factor. Also, how thin have you pressed the hearts? Could be that it's too thin and it's not cooled very well. Did you make them when it was super cold? I found that my tools were super-cold and everything I touched with them had to be heated through quite well straight away. They look really pretty though Very Happy
Tinker
Tinker
Da Management
Da Management

http://www.beadsbykat.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 pm

The greenish pond marks might be a reaction to the silver leaf on the 6 o'clock heart.

The cracking may be thermo shock where the decoration or the bead got too cold, or maybe a compatibility issue. I also had a lot of cracking with some fish a while back it was blooming cold in the shed , so I reckon I let them cool to much before the went into the kiln.

Sorry I can't help more than that but as Tink says they are pretty beads x
Cornish
Cornish
Grand Challenge Master
Grand Challenge Master

http://www.cornishdragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mizgeorge Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:08 am

I suspect they're just too big and too many different glasses to go into annealing bubbles and really want to be garaged.
mizgeorge
mizgeorge
I'm On Fire
I'm On Fire

Back to top Go down

Post  Batty Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you ladies.
yes, time to save for that kiln.

sunny
Batty
Batty