Jewellery Maker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping?

5 posters

Go down

How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping? Empty How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping?

Post  Odonata Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:02 am

This is something I've been having recurring problems with and I'm concerned my work is just not up to scratch.

I've been making bracelets similar to this for a while now.

How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping? 6692161451_3d8fc1068d
White blossom beads and viking knit bracelet. by Odonata Studios, on Flickr

Initially I was threading them onto Beadalon plastic coated wire thread with a tensile strength more than capable of being up to the job, but one or two of them snapped at the crimp where it had cut into the plastic coating before severing the wire. Disaster. Beads and components all over the place.

Now I have started stringing them onto sterling 0.8mm foxtail chin and securing that with silver crimp ends. I thought that would solve the problem of the crimps causing fraying.
However this morning the above bracelet scattered all over the floor as I caught it in the seam of my coat as I yanked it on.
This time it's not the joints and fixings which have failed, it's the chain itself which has snapped.
Does anyone know of a better way to string these without going down the "Pandora" route?
Odonata
Odonata
Special Moderator Extraordinaire

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OdonataStudio

Back to top Go down

How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping? Empty Re: How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping?

Post  mizgeorge Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 am

Chain that fine is way too slim to hold properly.

Personally, I'd go down the brangle route, and put them on sterling wire of at least 1.2mm It saves having the awkward join between clasp and beading wire, which even with a guardian is always visible. You can thread the viking knit section on, or wire it directly into the design if you want to save a couple of inches of wire. You have to make a definite shape with these though, too much flexing and changing shape will end up weakening the wire.

However a heavyweight softflex (or whichever brand you prefer) - the .024" size should work just fine for a bracelet IMO. I don't know what sort of crimps you're using, but I think tornado crimps are less likely to cut than tubes as their walls are thicker to start with.
mizgeorge
mizgeorge
I'm On Fire
I'm On Fire

Back to top Go down

How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping? Empty Re: How to stop heavy bead bracelets snapping?

Post  Batty Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Blimey Odonata, that's stunning, I'd like to see it as necklace, did you make the beads? sunny
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Post  Odonata Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks George. Yup the chain is too fine. can't believe in hindsight that I thought it'd be up to it. But then it was a mighty wrench that caused it to snap. Tornado crimps are a new one on me but I'll give those a try. I was considering using some chain which is currently being worn as a necklace but was dreading having to cut it up and solder a new ring on the end.

Batty I confess I did not make the beads. I can't remember where I got them (I wish I could) but they're lovely little white blossoms encased in clear glass.
Odonata
Odonata

Back to top Go down

Post  mizgeorge Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm

if you want to stay with chain, I'd look at using a snake chain. No less than 1.2mm. If you don't want to solder, there are good crimp on chain ends available for snake, which whilst not quite as pretty, are very easy to use.
mizgeorge
mizgeorge
I'm On Fire
I'm On Fire

Back to top Go down

Post  nangoose Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:45 pm

No advice but just had to tell you how beautiful that bracelet is.
nan
nangoose
nangoose
My Keyboard is melting
My Keyboard is melting

http://www.rowantreejewellery.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Batty Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Odonata where do you buy those cones and bead caps? sunny
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinker Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Gorgeous! Really must give that viking knit a go soon.
Tinker
Tinker
Da Management
Da Management

http://www.beadsbykat.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Odonata Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 am

Awh thanks for the nice comments you guys. I have to say I'm particularly fond of this one and was upset when it snapped.
Untill I can afford the neccessary componets (I think I'll try the snake chain option there George. It may be a bit of a bu**er to feed through the viking knit though) I've restrung it on doubled up beadalon.

Batty the wood grain effect cones and the bead caps are both from Bead Addict. Item number STB-191 and STB-268. They're a bit pricey but look great. I had lots of "Ooh that's nice" comments from workmates in the 3 days I got to wear it.
Odonata
Odonata

Back to top Go down

Post  mizgeorge Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:16 am

Try threading the chain through before you draw the knit. Makes life much easier Wink
mizgeorge
mizgeorge
I'm On Fire
I'm On Fire

Back to top Go down

Post  Odonata Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Probably fiddly but it's GOT to be easier than threading it through after. Will do.
Odonata
Odonata

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down