Jewellery Maker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do I Do?

5 posters

Go down

What Do I Do? Empty What Do I Do?

Post  RowanWolf Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, I try to keep busy and like trying things. I spent years trying to make up for losing my passion in life... horses.
So, I love Photography and have been playing arounda nd practising for years now..I have albums online. I treated myself, finally, to an SLR last year. A lot of my stuff can be found on DeviantArt at Shewollfe 's Gallery

I dabble in knitting..tried crochet but couldn't get it. I think I need some tuition there lol
I love art..my father taught me before I started school and he taught me more as I got older. I love watercolours and pastels..some charcoal and sketching. Also inks and some caligraphy.
I used to design tattoos.
I also like art on the PC.. digital art I make in photoshop or other programs and Fractal art. These are also tucked away in my DA gallery.

I love cooking and used to make a lot of fancy cakes..not so much now days as I cannot manage it but now and then I give it another go.
I sew a little and have been improving as I was making some costumes for a living history site..I'd like to make my own clothes and bags.
I used to do cross stitch.

I also make greeting cards though my equipment has been neglected for a while..too much beading to do lol

I like clay and polymer clay too..and dabble a little bit in woodwork, basic stuff. I've also made soaps and candles Smile
Wax art fascinates me but I've not got my own gear for that..always something else on my list!!
I really enjoyed my brief taster of lampworking and metalwork so I hope I can go that way in the future.

I just love creating..who knows what I'll have my nose into next bounce
RowanWolf
RowanWolf
My Keyboard is melting
My Keyboard is melting

Back to top Go down

What Do I Do? Empty Re: What Do I Do?

Post  Mead Moon Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Well, not as talented as RowanWolf, but I also like trying things. Used to spin, crochet, tat, sew, embroider and knit and designed knitwear for a while (just for friends & family, not as a job) but don't often get out the carders/wheel/spindle/needles/hooks/shuttles these days, unless it's to knit/crochet silver wire for jewellery which I am just starting to pick up now.

Also enjoy gardening and photography and combine the two by photographing flowers and landscapes (but not people). Have had a few photos published in Garden Answers, on the "Clematis on the web" website and for "Sun brand", but am still trying to win one of the bigger competitions, even getting a mention would be a big step forward!

I play traditional (folk) music and renaissance dance music on whistle, recorder, crumhorn and MIDI wind synth and am trying to find time to learn harp and pick up the guitar again after many years of neglect. Am in two bands, Misalliance for the trad./early music, and Pitchfork who play for barn dances. Misalliance has recorded 3 albums and is working, very slowly, on a fourth, but rarely play in public. Oh, and I used to clog dance with Reading Cloggies (later Aldbrickham Clog) and Cloghoppers and Morris dance with Flowers of May, Hart & Sole, Whiteknights Morris and Hurst Morris People (HUMP) before giving up due to shin splints. I do still clog & step dance for practise from time to time.

My book shelves are full of books on languages, ancient Egypt, Richard III, gardening and mythology/folklore with some computer/programming/network textbooks thrown in for good measure. I am learning Russian and Egyptian Arabic and keep au courant with French by reading books (fiction) on ancient Egypt in French Smile

Right, that's quite enough. Now who's next?
Mead Moon
Mead Moon
Not of this world
Not of this world

http://www.meadmoon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Odonata Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:18 pm

silent

Well that's me speachless.
Odonata
Odonata
Special Moderator Extraordinaire
Special Moderator Extraordinaire

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OdonataStudio

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanWolf Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:57 pm

I didn't bother adding the gaming and coding I often do / work on hehe
Languages I try..and fail silent
RowanWolf
RowanWolf
My Keyboard is melting
My Keyboard is melting

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinker Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Flippin 'eck Tucker!! Well that's a pretty impressive list between just the two of you Very Happy

But... this thread is in ....the gallery Laughing so guess what - yep, we wanna see photos of what else you do Razz Razz But keep these coming too - very interesting!

I'll start - I've got a couple of pics to upload, but here's some of my chequered past for you - my professional profile proves I've not really found my vocation in life up until Jewellery and Lampwork lol.

I've been pretty much IT for most of my career in various guises. I was an ISEB accredited Software Tester for 5 years and co-ran the technical aspect with my now husband. We managed the building of Op systems and platforms for the manual testers, as well as writing automation scripts - this is where I developed a severe dislike of programming, VB, SQL and development departments in general lol.

At 30 I had a bit of a mid life crisis type thing, and trained in Swedish Massage which then snowballed into many other therapies - Indian Head Massage, Acupressure Facials, On-site massage, Manicure and Pedicure, Hopi Ear Candles, Reiki and a few others. I stopped the testing and worked out of a ladies gym with my therapies for a while, as well as working from home and being mobile, but it is a tough industry to crack without coming from the bottom up and I found myself taking on more and more temp work until I went into Operations Management.

I ended up running Relax Kids, which if you've seen Dragon's Den is a company where one lady with a vision has made relaxation and meditation cd's, books etc for kids - and Ops and HR managing a marketing company. Eventually as they both grew I had to pick one or the other, so I picked the marketing company who after 6 months or so ended up folding - doh!

I then went on with the Operational Management side and worked for a bigger company running the building management, IT, Health and Safety and Warehousing, Admin team etc etc. Redundant from there 18 months ago and here I am, in the Katshack, happy as a pig in muck - although very skint! I'm so lucky to have a supportive hubby who beleives in me and is letting me do this. Although to be fair I was a bit of a feisty old rottweiler when I was in Management lol so he's definitely enjoying the new me lol!

Languages - took German and French (and computing) A level, have been speaking French since I was 7 but am fairly limited to conversational French, Normandy Pattois and agricultural vocabulary - and my written and reading French is atrocious.

I've already said what some of my crafts are, and I'm pleased to see a fellow Tatter MeadMoon! But as I finish stuff I'll pop pics up here for you to see and I hope everyone else will do the same. I think it's great to learn about other crafts so let's see what ya got Very Happy You never know, you might see something that takes your fancy and start a new hobby...
Tinker
Tinker
Da Management
Da Management

http://www.beadsbykat.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:50 am

Wow we are a crafty bunch lol.

I love making things, you could call me a magpie / butterfly crafter as I collect / flit from crafts.
Well I've loved making things since I was a tiny thing. It continued at secondary school where I insisted on hand sewing a pair of trousers rather than using a machine, I wanted to prove a point I suppose. I loved metal work but interestingly girls were not encouraged to take it further but the boys were encouraged to do cookery.
When I left school I became a florist and I developed my art skills more via the city & guilds qualifications. Floristry has a lot of design skills and wire work which you have to learn, like the balance of a wired boquet and it's design etc.

I started cross stich making cards etc but I found holding the needle painfull after a while so I don't do it anymore. Then the papercrafts really hit and I tried my hand at that mainly starting with encaustic/ wax art cards and the stamping embossing and scrapbooking. I have a huge love of faeries and went back to watercolouring making faerie cards.

If there's a craft I will have a go including crochet and cake baking, one thing I can't do is knit.
I'll get some photos sorted soon of my other crafts, any one fancy greenmen engraved in slate ?

Cornish
Cornish
Grand Challenge Master
Grand Challenge Master

http://www.cornishdragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RowanWolf Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:11 am

Here is a link to some greeting card photos. It doesn't really deserve a thread of it's own as they were just a log for me and not the best photos..hastily done with an old camera a while back.
I should make some more really, I've had some better ideas and can improve upon some older ones.
Old Cards by me
RowanWolf
RowanWolf
My Keyboard is melting
My Keyboard is melting

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinker Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 am

I love faeries too! One of the cross stitches I have on the go at the mo is called 'firefly fairies' I've got to the difficult part where you sew in metallic thread and seed beads so production has slowed down a bit.

My hubby loves all things green man Cornish, you should show us something!

Rowanwolf I have a stash of old cards somewhere - when I get low on stocks I get all the toys out and make more but I usually end up with about a years supply lol.
Tinker
Tinker
Da Management
Da Management

http://www.beadsbykat.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum