Jewellery Maker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Kiln

3 posters

Go down

Which Kiln Empty Which Kiln

Post  Batty Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi to everyone that reads this post.
I'm having a slight nightmare trying to decided which kiln to buy.

This is what the dilema is over; (is that how you spell dilemma?)

1 = I want to anneal my glass beads
2 = when one makes big focal beads or lentil pressed beads do they need to go straight into a front loading kiln or can they go into my bucket of, forgent what there called, bead bubble thermal things, then be fired later.

3 = I'd like to fuse and slump smallish glass items, jewellery, coasters

4 = use metal clays

can anyone help guild me, as this will be a major financial pay out for me I don't want to get it wrong. What a Face

Cheers
Debs
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Which Kiln Empty Re: Which Kiln

Post  Cornish Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I can only give you the experience of when I got my kiln Debs.

I got a Bead Cube from Kiln Care, (this is the link to the bead cube) http://www.kilncare.co.uk/kilns_glass_beadannealing_beadcube.html
the reason I chose the bead cube was its is a good price, the guarantee had just been extended to 3 years, I got the bead rack and controller stand as optional extras. And its made in the UK, and they send you full instructions.
It is a dinky little thing but don't be put off by that, I think I had about nearly 20 beads in it at one session. I garage the beads, while making them, I also have my bubbles so if I want to I can batch anneal at a later time, you can get a lot more in when batch annealing.

I would put the larger beads straight into a kiln while its in garage mode just to be on the safe side personally.

You can use the bead cube for silver clay and some fusing according to kiln care the max temp is 920c.

I did consider the Paragon SC2, which is bigger and the price is a bit more, I also did a lot of research on the different forums like Frit Happens looking at the older posts on kilns etc and that helped me with my decision.

Hope that helps Debs and that some of the other can help you more.

Cornish
Cornish
Grand Challenge Master
Grand Challenge Master

http://www.cornishdragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Batty Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks Cornish
I was a member of "frit happens" just before I got ill and moved, I joined again last nigh, so I'll post the same question over there.
But yes, garaging, forgot all about that, on bigger focal beads it is the wiser choice.

Thanks for replying it all helps.
sunny
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Post  Mead Moon Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 pm

What is garaging/garage mode?

I have a Paragon SC2 and have been pleased with it, but am not a lampworker. I bought it for silver clay but also tried my first fusing project in it today and am waiting for it to cool down enough for me to look at the results. Keeping everything crossed!
Mead Moon
Mead Moon
Not of this world
Not of this world

http://www.meadmoon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Batty Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Elaine, can't what to see your first fusing, hope it comes out ok and that yo post a pic.
As far as garaging goes, I believe its the proses of popping one's big beads in through the bead door and keeping them at a set temperature whilst you carry on making beads and popping them in.
Then once you are ready you ramp up the temp and do a few other things, hold times, and then the the kiln brings the temp down slowly to anneal the beads.
I guess it's the same for fusing?

If I'm wrong, then, um, err, well someone else is bound to put us right, so to speak, well, so to type What a Face
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 pm

You're spot on there Debs with the garaging explanation.
Cornish
Cornish
Grand Challenge Master
Grand Challenge Master

http://www.cornishdragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Batty Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Cornish, shame my spelling isn't as spot on!!! still having problems trying to decide on a kiln type. but it will come to me in the end.
In the mean time, I'm off to try and dredge the fish pond, there's never a man around when you need one to do the dirty work!!! oh-la-la.
Can't be too mean, after all, he is chipping in on the Kiln. spanks DH
Keep Laughing sunny
Batty
Batty
Not of this world
Not of this world

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down